Broody hen forgets her nest box

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Madiha Farhan, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Madiha Farhan

Madiha Farhan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2016
    Pakistan
    Hello all.. I have a broody hen, eggs under her warm feathers.. She just comes out of her nest box once or twice a day. But the issue is that she always forgets her nest box and sits on another empty one.. It'll definitely spoil all her own eggs.. If closing other nest boxes is the option, where will other hens lay eggs??

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Not an easy one. You may wish to consider keeping her closed in her nest box until your other girls have laid and then close the other nest boxes and open the one that your broody is in. This assumes that someone is at home every day, and that your girls lay at certain times of the day (more likely to be morning times i would have thought). Its not ideal. Is this her first time being broody?

3. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    X2

She might be a candidate for containing in a smaller area with her own spot -- like a large dog crate with supervised time up off the nest so she can fully stretch her wings and dust bathe etc... or she might just not be a good candidate for being a broody this time through. Are any of the other chickens giving her a hard time about going back to her nest? Does she always end up in a certain spot, or is it different every day? If it's the same spot every day, moving the nest at night (other threads cover this really well) may help.

4. Madiha Farhan

Jul 26, 2016
    Pakistan
    No its her second time.. will do what you've said.. Its difficult.. but not worth than little cute chicks.. :)

5. Madiha Farhan

Jul 26, 2016
    Pakistan
    No Shezadandy.. the broody hen is queen of all.. None can even think of bullying her.. Tonight will shift eggs in the box she loves to sit.. thanks

6. Shezadandy

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Glad it's not the other hens. Ours was definitely more assertive when broody, but she didn't turn into a full on beast until the week of hatching- on her breaks there were still hens that would push her around- that's why I asked. Hopefully the new spot does the trick!

7. Madiha Farhan

Jul 26, 2016
    Pakistan
    Hey great news.. after all my broody hen finally remembered which nest box is hers! thanks all

8. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Great news! [​IMG]

9. Shezadandy

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    X2

[​IMG]

10. Madiha Farhan