Broody hen fostering ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kaitie09, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I just had a thought. We have a broody hen, and we have 2 ducklings that are a little over a week old. The ducklings will be moving outside this weekend and I was wondering if maybe we could put the broody hen in with them and if she would foster the ducks

2. askjcm2005

askjcm2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego
    Hmm. I am not experienced with this but my silkies are so broody and they just hatched 2 of our ducklings. BUT if it were me trying it out what I would do is put some the broody hen in where you want the ducklings with a couple eggs to sit on then at night time when they are in the "coma" state I would sneak the ducklings in with the broody hen and hopefully if they are small enough still they will bundle up with the hen to keep warm and then the hen will think she hatched them. LOL idk if it would work but I was told you could do that with them and just stick a newborn chick under them in the middle of the night and theyll think they hatched them. You may have a hard time since she didnt technically hatch them as I was told recently with my ducklings that the hens will be very protective over them.

You might want to experiment with the broody hen now that the ducklings are smaller. Everytime I took the 1 day old hatchling back to the hen it went right to it and crawled underneath the hen to stay warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by