1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody hen gave up on her eggs to help other hen raise one chick!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dianneS, Jan 7, 2010.

1. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Okay, I had two broody hens. One successfully hatched 6 chicks, then abandoned five of them on the nest and they died. She just ignored her one and only chick the other day until it almost died in the cold. I revived it under a heat lamp, gave it back to her, and locked them in the coop.

My second broody abandoned her nest a few times and her eggs never hatched. Today, she decided to join the other hen in raising this one single chick! This one baby has two mom's now! The original hen has no problem with this new hen joining her. They all share the same nest, they two mom's walk around with "their" baby clucking to it. I even think they take turns sitting on the little one!

Hopefully now I can rest easy that this little one will survive the cold winter with two mom's to look after it! At least I hope he/she will make it, both hens seem kind of ditzy.

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Sounds like from know on you need to separate your broodies from the rest of the flock to hatch the chicks.

3. Farmer Benjii

Farmer Benjii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    Vic, AUS
    awwwwwwwwww how cute!!!!
    But now its harder to pick up and pet, its got two bodyguards [​IMG]

4. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Quote:You've got that right! Its too cute though. Two mom's sharing one nest and one chick. One hen will sit on him while the other goes about her business... I do hope he'll survive the cold now, he certainly should anyway!

5. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Well, the little one may not have two bodyguards after all. The hen that originally hatched this chick seems to have given full custody to the new hen! The first hen is up on the roost while the new hen is in the nest with the chick! I guess she gave him up for adoption!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by