Broody Hen - Go with it or hope she gives up??

tmfineg

Songster
8 Years
Jan 1, 2012
Gallatin TN
I have a hen that went broody. I let her sit on 4 eggs. We went out of town for the past 4 days and the chicken sitter said she found her off ther eggs sitting in a different nest a few times. I came home last night and candled them. I think they are dead, but I put them in the bater just in case. Today is day 21 so i don't have high hopes. I dont trust her with another round of eggs, should I just get some day old chicks? or wait until she gets bored and gives up?

If I give her chicks I have 2 options. Put her and the chicks in a large tub in the house to observe her for a while or put them in a small tractor coop. I am worried about the chicks falling down the latter. I could make her a nest below but then she will be exposed to the elements until the chicks can climb the latter.

My next challenge will be adding them to my flock. She is my domimant hen so I am not too worried, but I don't want to separate her too long.

Any advise would be helpful. Thanks,

I have a hen that went broody. I let her sit on 4 eggs. We went out of town for the past 4 days and the chicken sitter said she found her off ther eggs sitting in a different nest a few times. I came home last night and candled them. I think they are dead, but I put them in the bater just in case. Today is day 21 so i don't have high hopes. I dont trust her with another round of eggs, should I just get some day old chicks? or wait until she gets bored and gives up? 

If I give her chicks I have 2 options. Put her and the chicks in a large tub in the house to observe her for a while or put them in a small tractor coop. I am worried about the chicks falling down the latter. I could make her a nest below but then she will be exposed to the elements until the chicks can climb the latter. 

My next challenge will be adding them to my flock. She is my domimant hen so I am not too worried, but I don't want to separate her too long.

Any advise would be helpful. Thanks,
I'd let her be with the flock. Give her 2 or 3 chicks. Winter is coming and they will need to be raised longer.

I would get her day old chicks. You'll see pretty soon if she accepts them or not. Usually I don't have any problems. Just make sure they are very young.

Back
Top Bottom