broody hen got up... are the eggs still good. NEED ADVICE, PLEASE.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kingpartyof5, Mar 23, 2011.

1. kingpartyof5

kingpartyof5 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I left eggs in the coop this week on Monday hoping to encourage a hen to sit on them. One of my BA's started sitting yesterday (Tues) afternoon around 5-6pm. She was still on them at 9:45pm. I went out at 7 this morning and she was on the roost. It is now 3:30 and the eggs are still out there. Are they okay to eat? Does anyone think she may try again? Should I swap out the eggs for fresh ones? Any advice would be appreciated!

2. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    They should be fine to eat, but they're not fine to incubate. One should only give eggs to a bird that ALREADY broody, not the other way around. Give her some wooden or plastic eggs to practice with, not eating eggs!

Here's a great, verbose source about getting a hen to brood eggs: http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

3. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    the eggs should still be ok.
    if a hen did not lay the eggs herself she is probably not in " the zone"
    the fact that she did sit on them for a while is promising but she may or may not go full blown broody.
    only time will tell, i'd keep an eye on her for another day or 2.

4. kingpartyof5

kingpartyof5 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Central Indiana
    She was one of six who laid the eggs. The first day I placed them in the same nest box. The second day, they all laid in the same box. There were 10 eggs and 4 wooden duds. She even pulled all the duds under her after a few hours. She was pretty feisty and squawked like never before.
    I will collect the eggs, put the duds in one box and see how it goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by