Broody hen, great mother, what breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by grandmachicken, May 5, 2009.

1. grandmachicken

grandmachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Williamson, GA
    Here is one my my rescues from animal control. Her name is Littler (named by my 8-year-old, for obvious reasons - the other 3 that came with her are twice her size). I've had her since last Sep and she has been a great bird, went broody in March on fake eggs, so I gave her some Ameracauna chicks to raise, and she has been the best mother. The chicks, at 6 weeks, are almost half her size, and they still roost under her wings! She is so tolerant of them.

I was just wondering if anyone knew if she was a particular breed or just a mutt - also this is a test to see if I can upload a picture - TIA!

[​IMG]

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    She's a pretty gal, nice set of spurs on her! She's marked similar to a buttercup, but she's not a pure breed. She might even have some American gamefowl in her.

3. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Looks like an american game crossed with something of the partridge variety. She almost has the double lacing, looks like the gene is incompletley-dominate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by