Broody hen had to be moved into her own space...will she get cold

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cafedeparis, Jan 7, 2013.

1. cafedeparis

cafedeparis Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    Normandy France
    My Coop
    My hen is broody and sitting on eggs..
    she was being horrid to other hens and the house was too tight for eggs with all the other chucks...so for now she is sleeping in the rabbit hutch..
    Im just worried she will get cold?
    she is a large sussex light its january and north france so a little chilly not frosty but cold?
    will she be okay?
    I thought it would be safer for all hens and eggs if they were seperate?

2. chickenkeeper12

chickenkeeper12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Connecticut
    All you have to do is have a well insulated place for her, a couple inches of bedding, and you can add a light but its not necessary. I have a rabbit hutch for my Broodys and it works perfectly but I have to add a door where they can go in and out because it can get pretty cold in there until I put the door in.

3. cafedeparis

Dec 2, 2012
    Normandy France
    My Coop
    my hutch is one of those half door half mesh ones...solid sides and roof but half wood door and the other half is mesh..
    I open the door in the morning so she can if she chooses come out and eat drink and poop but when it gets dark i lock her in?
    is this okay?
    plus she has quite alot of shavings for bedding inside?

4. chickenlover478

chickenlover478 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Arrington,TN
    Can you put a heat lamp In the rabbit hutch?If you can her and her chicks will be warmer if you think it's cold.good luck!

5. cafedeparis

Dec 2, 2012
    Normandy France
    My Coop
    Yep I can do that..Ill see how tonite goes and check her in the morning to see how she is feeling....

6. chickenlover478

Jan 5, 2013
    Arrington,TN
    You need to keep her in the day so she can sit on the eggs.also you will need to put a chicken waterer and feeder so when the chicken hatch they can have food and water.if the eggs do not hatch I would recommend you getting buff orpingtons.they are excellent at being mothers and you don't need a heat lamp for them because their cold hardy.if you let your hen out of the hutch the eggs will go cold.hope this helps!

7. cafedeparis

Dec 2, 2012
    Normandy France
    My Coop
    so Hen was checked this morning and she popped out for food and water egg was there in the nest..
    I went back up a few hours later and egg is missing....NO EGG
    there is no shell or eggy mess in the nest..Ive looked all over but cant find it?
    where is the egg

8. chickenlover478

Jan 5, 2013
    Arrington,TN
    She might of rolled it out the hutch maybe.not very sure you can try a other egg and then put food and water in the hutch.And close it and you watch if the hen sits on the egg.It would be good to put 4 or 5 eggs under so you can more chicks.Hens tend to be broody during spring so you might want to try then.Hope this helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by