??broody?? hen has a bald belly!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wanderseek, Sep 6, 2010.

1. wanderseek

wanderseek Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    east central Indiana
    This hen we have has been sitting in the next for like three days. No eggs under her except a couple of fake ones. Today, I finally lifted her off the next to shooed her out to get some food and drink. I felt that she was extra warm on her belly, checked her out, and her belly is bare! It's like she plucked herself bald down there! Do broodies do that to keep the eggs next to the skin so they'll be extra warm? Is this normal? Should I be concerned? Any words of wisdom? This is our first time with a broody hen.

Thanks!!

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Yes, broodies can remove their belly feathers to prepare for warming eggs. It's normal and no cause for concern. Now's a good time to put some fertile eggs under her if you're so inclined, otherwise, it could be a while before she lays her own eggs again!

3. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    Quote:Yes, broodies can remove their belly feathers to prepare for warming eggs. It's normal and no cause for concern. Now's a good time to put some fertile eggs under her if you're so inclined, otherwise, it could be a while before she lays her own eggs again!

Good point

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by