Broody Hen has gotten of eggs on day 3 (5-12 eggs hatched)

aurimilky

Songster
6 Years
Aug 17, 2016
I'm on day 3 of of my eggs hatch. On day 3 a my broody hen is no longer sitting on the 7 eggs, 5 of them have hatched out of 12 eggs.

when I was look at the eggs in the nest box I noticed that two of the eggs have piped.

I have a egg incubator, should I out them in it ?

They are now in the egg incubator. My mum and brother both think that the egg incubator needs to be at 39% temp and to also have a sleeping bag over the egg incubator to keep it warm.

I've read that it needs 35.5% temp for hatching, but my mom insisted that it has to be 39% temp, as the neighbor told her that it needs to be at 39% temp for hatching.

They are now in the egg incubator. My mum and brother both think that the egg incubator needs to be at 39% temp and to also have a sleeping bag over the egg incubator to keep it warm.

I've read that it needs 35.5% temp for hatching, but my mom insisted that it has to be 39% temp, as the neighbor told her that it needs to be at 39% temp for hatching.
37.5 to 38.5 Max. Your hen must have been setting on a staggered hatch----eggs added after she started setting----that's NOT good and always leads to problems like this. If you have questions--just ask! Good Luck!

Were all the eggs set under the broody at the same time? Have you candled to see if they're all fully developed? Do you hear any peeping coming from them?

If they were all set at the same time, it's likely those last eggs won't hatch, but it's not going to hurt to put them in an incubator for a day or two. Generally, though, if all the eggs are started at the same time, whatever is going to hatch will do so within about 24 hours of the first one. If they were all started at different times, you are experiencing the problems of a staggered hatch. Works OK in an incubator where you have a little more control, but not quite so much with a broody. A hen will stay on the nest for 24-48 hours with the hatched babies, then lead them off to eat and drink

37.5 to 38.5 Max. Your hen must have been setting on a staggered hatch----eggs added after she started setting----that's NOT good and always leads to problems like this. If you have questions--just ask! Good Luck!

Were all the eggs set under the broody at the same time? Have you candled to see if they're all fully developed? Do you hear any peeping coming from them?

If they were all set at the same time, it's likely those last eggs won't hatch, but it's not going to hurt to put them in an incubator for a day or two. Generally, though, if all the eggs are started at the same time, whatever is going to hatch will do so within about 24 hours of the first one. If they were all started at different times, you are experiencing the problems of a staggered hatch. Works OK in an incubator where you have a little more control, but not quite so much with a broody. A hen will stay on the nest for 24-48 hours with the hatched babies, then lead them off to eat and drink

No all of the 12 eggs where bought from the same seller on Ebay and where all placed in the nest after 24 hours had passed. Also none of my other hens can get in the nest box, as I moved them to another chicken house, because they all like that one nest box for their eggs and the broody hen did like them try to get in the nest box.

I'll wait a 3 day or more and see what happens.

I've candled them, 3 of them look fully developed, I can hear peeping from many two of them and 1 look like its got nothing in the egg. no egg has piped yet.

Back
Top Bottom