Broody hen has gotten VERY defensive, whuzzit mean??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ducklove334, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    we have our first broody, whos eggs are due tomorrow, I've candled them a few times, and from what I can tell the eggs are the real deal, aircell taking up half the egg, dark mass on the other side, I've heard no peeping, and so far no chicks, but she has gotten VERY defensive of her nest, she used to be ok about only growling and clucking if you went in for a look, but now every time you look at her, she looks like she wants to kill you!

does it mean that she knows something we dont??

I want little peeps!

2. joanc

joanc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2007
    Shafer, MN
    Sounds to me like she's getting in mother hen (protection) mode. Just in time for the chickies. [​IMG]

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Yup, she wants to be left alone to do her thing [​IMG]

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

She's doing her Greta Garbo impersonation: "I vant to be let alone"... [​IMG]

5. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    well, hopefully she'll do her thing tonight [​IMG], and I'll go out to atleast one chickie to poke and prod and make go insane [​IMG]

though it has been abit chilly here the past few days, so thats a worry, though she hasn't LEFT the nest since yesterday, so all the eggs are nice and toasty [​IMG]

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Most broodies are like that close to a hatch. I have had many pecks on the hand.....

7. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    I THINK, I'm not sure, but I THINK, one or more chicks may be hatching, I hear NO peeping, BUT when I get real close and listen, I hear what sounds like tiny cracking [​IMG]

is it normal for chicks to NOT peep while hatching??

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    She is getting in her motherhood protective mode.

9. bantiesrule

bantiesrule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Long Prairie, MN
    Quote:The hen will cluck at them, especially if someone or something is around, and they will hush up. If you have eggs hatching in the incubator that are cheeping and you cluck at them, alot of times they will quiet down also. [​IMG]

10. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    still no peeps [​IMG]

arrrg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by