Broody hen has mites- what can i do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by soloskat1, Jan 29, 2013.

1. soloskat1

soloskat1 New Egg

Jan 29, 2013
    I have a broody silkie hen that appears to have mites or lice. Shes currently sitting on a clutch of 8 eggs and they are due to hatch anytime. Is there anything i can do to get rid of the mites/lice without harming the eggs/ chicks? Ps- shes currently set up in a box in my bathroom to stay warm :)

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I'd set up another box similar to the one the hen's in. When you have the new box set up with new nest material, like pine shavings fresh out of the bag, take the hen and give a small spritz of Frontline spray: http://www.revivalanimal.com/Frontline-Spray.html

Do this at the base of the neck where it joins the body, mid back, once under each wing, and once below the vent. Be sure not to spritz any on the vent as it can irritate it. Let her stand in an area for a few minutes. Carefully take each egg and look to see there are no mites on them and place them in the new box of shavings, then put the hen back with her eggs. If you see some mites on the eggs as you remove each one, gently wipe each egg with a soft tissue over the sink before putting it in the new nest. Spray some Frontline in the sink. Take the old box out and spray it down and the with Ravap or Permethrin. Dump the old nest material in a plastic bag and spray the hell out of it. Seal up the bag of old nest material and toss it in the garbage can. Spray the old box again.

3. soloskat1

soloskat1 New Egg

Jan 29, 2013
    That spray wont affect the eggs/ chicks that should be coming out any time now (the eggs are starting to "peep") lol

4. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    It shouldn't so long as you don't spray the eggs or the chicks. It will dry fast and stay on the hen. Just like I said with the spritz. You don't need very much of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by