Broody hen has runny nose!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ajyetzer, Jul 11, 2011.

1. ajyetzer

ajyetzer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    I just noticed today, that my broody hen had a runny nose in one nostril. She also has splotches of white on her pinkish earlobe. She's a Red Star. I cleaned out the coop of poop and dust which had been there for several weeks and checked her again. The runny nose was gone. Should I quarantine her from the others, or do chickens get stuffed up like we do? Why does her earlobe have white on it?

I did just add 5 new pullets to the flock. They were quarantined and are quite healthy so I don't think that would have anything to do with it.

Thanks for any help!

2. Ilovemyladies!

Ilovemyladies! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    She could just have a cold. I would quarantine just to be safe. Is she sitting on eggs?

3. ajyetzer

Jun 19, 2011
    She just sits in the box without any eggs under her, then when one of the other birds lays an egg she moves and sits on it. I just grab whatever is under her. It seems as if every time we come back home from a trip she has gone broody! [​IMG]

I forgot to say her behavior is normal. Because she's brooding she acts flustered. Right now she's taken a break from brooding but will probably be back at it in a few minutes.

4. Ilovemyladies!

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    If she is acting normal and eating/drinking I think she's just stuffed up. Hope this helps![​IMG] What breed is she?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  5. ajyetzer

Jun 19, 2011
    Thanks for the reassurance! [​IMG] I have never had to deal with disease in my flock before, so I was a little more than concerned. She is a Red Star Sex Link. She is the last one of the two original chickens I purchased. Her "sister" was killed by a dog while we were away from home. The dead bird looked like a Red Star Sex Link, but she laid bluish green eggs! I never have been able to figure that one out.

6. Ilovemyladies!

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    Glad to help [​IMG] I never had to deal with disease but I had a hen with coryza but she died (but the rest are fine). Maybe your hen had Aracauna in her.....

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by