Broody hen has stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BellaBelinski, Oct 31, 2013.

1. BellaBelinski

BellaBelinski Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    Beavercreek, OR
    Hi everyone!

I have a 3 hens of which one has become very broody. For the past 5-6 mornings I have had to force her out of the nest. She runs to the food and water as soon as she's out of the coop. However, the other 2 have begun to pick on her. They peck at her eyes. I try to discourage them from doing it by pushing them away from her. She stays out for a little while but then returns back to the nest. I really don't want to put a light in their coop (as I read discourages broodiness) because I don't want to force them to lay. Any suggestions on how to stop this behavior, and the the other hens from picking on her? Also, does anyone know how long this will last?

2. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    They pick on my silkie when she comes out when broodie too but I think its because she gets all cranky at them when they go in the nest and basically behaves above her station of lower on the pecking order. So when she comes out they peck at her to remind her of her proper place. It never goes on too long.

As for stopping her there are lots and lots of threads and lots and lots of methods but if you don't stop her she could sit there for months.
    All methods break down to simply keeping her off the nest 24 hours a day for about 3 days. I've had my broodie take 8 days once but 95% of the time 3 days is enough. We don't lock ours up in a little wire box or do any of the other cold air or ice cube stuff you will read. We just keep her sectioned off so she can't get on the box of a day and lock the box so she can't sleep on it of a night.

Good luck!

3. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    if you have a wire bottom dog crate, put her in there with food and water for a few days to a week. it should break her broodiness. Basically you need to get her body temp to come down, which is why you would want a wire bottom crate.

4. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    -depends upon the chicken. Our GLW went broody during a very, very hot streak this summer. We brought her indoors, placed her in a large dog crate (solid floor with a towel on the bottom) with food and water, and let her stay there for 24 hours. She was finished with the broody business and ready to return to her normal routine the next day. Our Japanese bantam is a different story. -perpetually broody! She will sit on a nest for five weeks. -last time she went broody it was 2 1/2 months before she returned to laying. The dog crate didn't phase her. We just leave her be and let her stay on the nest as long as it isn't too hot outdoors.

5. BellaBelinski

BellaBelinski Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    Beavercreek, OR
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I guess it'll just have to be a trial and error situation. This is my first time dealing with a broody bird. Wish me luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by