Broody hen has terrible infestation of lice or mites or whatever...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by magicpigeon, Dec 30, 2010.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I've just realised my broody silkie has some sort of parasite. I'm not sure whether they are lice or mites or both. Since she's on eggs I'm not sure how much I can do. I am also now going to assume ALL my birds have lice/mites [​IMG] How can I treat my broody? I've got a bag of cedar chips (she's in the middle of a forest), some diatomaceous earth, but the "wonder cure" I've been reading about everywhere (Ivermectin) ISN'T SOLD IN SYDNEY, NSW, OR I'M PRETTY SURE, AUSTRALIA!!! [​IMG]

I just sprinkled some cedar chips around her, but have no idea what to do next. Any ideas?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. MTopPA_18707

MTopPA_18707 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm fairly inexperienced . . . but have read that Cedar smells/oil are bad for birds lungs.

Xriva

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Don't use the cedar chips around your bird. Eprinex is available in Australia. It works better than Ivermectin because there is no withdrawal time, so you don't need to toss any eggs. A quick on-line search revealed that it is available through Merial, a company that has headquarters in several countries throughout the world including Australia.

Good luck.

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sevin dust is safe for chicks. I would use Sevin on the hen, nest, all the other birds, and clean out all the floor litter and dust real good before you put new litter in.

5. MTopPA_18707

MTopPA_18707 Chillin' With My Peeps

. . . just curious about Lice and Mites

. . . would these nasty creatures die out eventually if there were no chickens at all ?

Thanks,

Xriva

6. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Quote:Well, they live on wild birds and that is probably where most chickens get them.

7. Brendarh

Brendarh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    Clarksville, Maryland
    Do you have a picture of what the mite or lice infestation looks like?

8. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Broody hens are a favorite target for mites & lice, the hens spend so much time in one spot and don't get to dust bathe as much as they should. You can use any type of insecticidal dust that's safe to use on dogs & cats. Here's some basic information: http://www.pestproducts.com/insecticide_dusts.htm I have used 5% Sevin Dust, and other types of insecticidal dust. It's safe to use on the hen & in her nest too. The parasites will deplete the hen's health if they're not treated.

I would try to work swiftly and right at nightfall. First put the hen in a separate cage, then take out all the eggs and arrange them in a basket. Try to keep them in the same place/position, but if they get shifted a bit that's all right. Then remove ALL the bedding (put it in a plastic bag & seal) and spread some dust under the new bedding, place new bedding & dust some more on that, then replace the eggs. Then dust the hen all over, and let her return to her nest.

You can put the dust in a shaker can (like one for parmesean cheese) or in the toe of an old stocking. To dust the hen, hold her by the legs and sprinkle dust around her vent, under her wings, and on the back of her neck.

Check her in a day or two, she and/or the nest might benefit from an additional sprinkling. I routinely will put dust in & around a broody hen's nest before she begins her set there just as a precaution.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by