Broody hen hasn't laid an egg in 4 weeks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Monstertone, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Monstertone

Monstertone Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    My Welsummer (9 months old) went broody 4 weeks ago yesterday. I confined her to a crate for three days. Now, it will
    be 4 weeks on Thursday since she was out of the crate, and she hasn't laid a single egg? What gives?

BTW - she went broody back in June and didn't lay for about 2 weeks or more that time.

Thanks,

Tom

2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Maybe she is molting?

3. Monstertone

Nov 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    I'm kinda new to this. Would it be obvious to me if she was? How would I know?

4. Monstertone

Nov 24, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    Anyone?

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    When chickens molt they lose feathers so new ones can grow in. Sometimes it's a subtle process and you may have to hold her & feel her to find the bare patches or new feathers growing in. Other times it's really obvious, they look really awful & bare, and embarassed.

Were those few days in the Broody Buster crate enough to break her broody spell? Has she showed signs of broodiness any more?

Also, could she be laying in a secret spot? Keep track of her whereabouts if you let her out to free range. Check all the corners & hiding spots in your coop.

And check her for parasites, those could be making her weak & not up to laying. Check for mites, lice & worms. How are your other hens doing, are they laying as they should?

Make sure everyone is well-fed, with sufficient layer feed & oyster-shell grit for optimal health. All right, that's all I've got...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by