BROODY hen hatches 6 chickies (w/pics) *update now 9 chicks*

If you have eggs to hatch later in the month.I would either remove the chicks or the unhatched eggs after tomorrow. She is coming off that nest soon to take care of her babies,and if she does,she may not go back to the unhatched eggs. Either that or she will let her babies fend for themselves,which is probably not a good idea. I know lots of people do it,but I don't like scattered hatches.

Last edited:
Well I only got 1 pic of a baby out from under momma but you can't see the little black chick because it was towards her back side where she has dark feathers so it just blended in. I will post a pic of momma sitting on the babies and the rest of the eggs.
I guess I will go out and take the 4 little chickies out of the hutch and bring them inside so she will keep setting on those eggs.

DSCF2577.jpg

Jayare

When I got out there another one had hatched, so there's 5 now. Here's the 5 babies so far. I took them away from mom so she can continue setting those eggs. Tomorrow is day 21 on these Looks like 3 Phoenix, 1 white one and 1 black one. The roos I had were 2 black Australorps, 2 RIR's and 1 gold Phoenix. They were all running together in the same coop. The white one came from my Delaware cross hen but who do you suppose the father was? The black one I'm pretty sure is a RIR/black Australorp because it hatched from a RIR egg. The 3 Pheonix I'm guessing is 1 is gold/gold Phoenix and the other 2 are silver/gold Phoenix.

What does anybody else think?

DSCF2591.jpg

Jayare

spelling errors :mad:

Last edited:
I think they're very cute Jayare!
big_smile.png
What a good mama hen you got there. Be sure to give her extra treats tomorrow morning.
jumpy.gif

Jody

This morning there was another little chickie under moma. Here's a pic of moma and the newest Phoenix chick. Either that 7th egg is running late or it wasn't fertle. We'll see what happens in the next day or two.

DSCF2614.jpg

Jayare

Here's a pic of all 6 of them now. The newest one is the one at the botom middle in the pic and looks like it is getting ready to climb up into the feeder with the others.

DSCF2630-1.jpg

Jayare

I am just so tickled for you! My broody didn't hatch a single egg! Probably a storage temp/humidity mistake on my behalf.
he.gif

Anyway....looking at the pics of sweet baby chicks and pretty broody mama's is almost making up for it and making me certain we will try again.

Thanks so much for sharing your miraculous good fortune. Very pretty broody, by the way!
smile.png

Well the second set of eggs was due to hatch tomorrow (Wednesday) so I was looking in her hutch today and I thought I heard cheeps. Momma was still setting on the nest so I left her alone. A little while later I noticed she was off the nest so I ran over there so I could get a good look inside. I noticed 2 pips and I could see the beak of one of the chicks chipping away at the shell and breathing air the momma got back on the nest. About 10:00 tonight my wife said she could hear little babies cherping so I took the flashlight and went out to see what I could see. I lifted momma up a little and I saw 2 little Phoenix chicks and a fresh and still wet RIR chickie. So that makes 9 chicks she has hatched now and 2 more due to hatch next week. I left the chicks with momma tonight and will take them out in the morning. When those last 2 hatch I will let her raise them and see if she gets over being broody since there will nolonger be any eggs under her.

But if she is still broody after those last 2 eggs I may have to just give her some more to hatch. Wow I got 53 chicks now and I can't believe I'm saying I would put more under her. Will this addiction ever end or even slow down?

I'll take some pics of the new peeps tomorrow and post them.

Jayare

Back
Top Bottom