Broody hen hatching baby chicks soon, I need help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by krichardson, Mar 13, 2013.

1. krichardson

krichardson Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2012
    Hey I have a buff orpington that has been sitting on 4 eggs, for almost her full three weeks (Friday will be 21 days) I have candled them and they are all moving around. She is in a box that is about 2.5 feet off of the floor. She shares the coop with 9 other hens and a rooster. I also have an incubator running inside with a 20 other eggs that arent due for another 2 weeks, and there is more room to add more eggs.
    My question is, should I just take the eggs from under my hen and bring them inside to hatch in my incubator? I have never hatched chicks before. I feel bad taking her eggs since she has done all the work, Ive only seen her outside once in two and half weeks. She is so faithful to her nest, I feel bad taking them from her! Should I just bring them inside and try to get her to stop sitting? I dont want the chicks to fall and get hurt or have the other chickens kill them before I get a chance to bring them inside. We live in Maine, and the temperature in the coop isnt too warm yet. Any opinions on this will be greatly appreciated!

2. aghiowa

aghiowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Is there any way to temporarily fence off her location? Or can you move her?

Angela

3. Summerlove

Summerlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    I have my broody sectioned off in the coop. I let her and the babies out to have some coop time everyday for a few hours.

4. krichardson

krichardson Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2012
    I can "fence" her in with food and water, but I dont know if I am supposed to if she wants to get up and go outside she wont be able to. I have a dog kennel that I thought of putting in there just covered over so its dark and seperate from the others with lots of hay, but I dont know if she will take to it.The chicks wont be able to stay in the pen with the big hens anyway, Ill eventually have to bring them inside anyway, I dont know if its more cruel to take them now or after they hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by