1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

broody hen hatching chicks now

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chump, Feb 24, 2011.

1. chump

chump Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Indiana
    This is our first hatch and I have some questions. Do I need to pull out chicks as they hatch so they don't get suffacated? And so she will hatch all eggs instead of raising first chick? We had some eggs in incubator but gave them to her when she went broody so might be 1 or 2 day difference in hatching. They or away from rest or flock but about 2 feet off the bottom of the cage, should they be on the floor with cardboard and hay, again they are separated and in their own broody box with wire floor. I hear peeping but it stopped I'm not sure if I should pull hen off and check on it or let her do her thing. Any input will be appreciated

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I would just leave her alone the more you take out the eggs or move the hen the more the temperature and humidity drop and could cause problems with the hatch. Chickens have been hatching eggs for a long time I seem to think they know what they need to do. I think she will sit for at least 24 hours after the 1st chick hatch's hopefully there are not to many days between the eggs.

3. sawmane1

sawmane1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    What ever you do DONT help the chicks out!!! if you do than they wont have the strength they need to live. they might look like they need help but they have an air sack in the egg too. the hen will wait a little but if the eggs are a day or two later than you should take matters to your own hands or she will abandone them. GOOD LUCK!![​IMG]

4. chump

chump Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Indiana
    Ok I have a box with a light over it set about 98-100 degress. How long should I wait before thinking about taking them, only 2 or 3 will hatch first then maybe 24 hours other should start. I will probly give them back later. I also have 4 chicks from the farm store should I just keep them all together inside my brooder or put with hen, when they are all done hatching.

5. chump

chump Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Indiana
    Baby chicks hatched yesterday and 2 came out of nest today. We pulled rest out to see wat they lookd like then stuck them back under mamahen. WOW! Every single one was diferent. And they all hatched. No duds. Some had crests, 5 toes, feathers on legs. They're just awesome. Have some in incubator too gonna hatch soon.

6. michaelinnc84

michaelinnc84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Western North Carolina
    Do you have pictures of mom and the babies? I would love to see them.

7. lillyandlogansmom

lillyandlogansmom New Egg

Feb 27, 2011
    OK, I have questions too if anyone can answer? Our Big Momma finally hatched some chicks this morning (she's never been able to go the distance before). She is in a nesting box. We want to separate her from the rest of the flock but she's not particularly friendly. How quickly do they need to be separated? I don't want the rooster or the other hens messing with them. And, how soon before the chicks start trying to get out and wander around? They are up off the ground and if they got out (there's a pretty good lip on the nesting box) they would probably fall.

Thanks for any answers! There's so much info in the forums I don't have time to read it all!

8. chump

chump Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Indiana
    I would separate them from roosters and other hens as soon as possible. This is our 2nd hen to go broody .our first one we left with other chickens to do her own thing on ground and they harrassed her so much she smashed all eggs. My husband built wooden box 7ft by 3 ft long and we use that now for broody hen. Put a bunch of hay even with the nest box and within a few hrs chicks were runnin round in and out of it on straw. Maybe u cod Take them inside house in box or plastic tub with something like dry grass or hay. They'll b leavin mama faster than u think. Took one of our chicks only few hrs to jump out of nest. Was cutest thing I've seen in awhile

9. chump

chump Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Indiana
    My husband just uses his bare hands to move killer attack broody hens. He says its not that bad. He has really calloused hands. I have a pair of really thick leather gloves I use. It still hurts a little but nowhere near as bad

10. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    Congratulations on your chicks. My broodies have given up after a week or less on their nests but I do have a columbian wyandotte hen seperated from the flock now. She has a second set of eggs because the first ones she sat on for four days and the other hens ran her off her nest and her eggs got smashed. I gave her more eggs only I separated her from the other hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by