Broody hen hatching chicks, one chick already! (Pic)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sdwhippets, Aug 25, 2014.

1. sdwhippets

sdwhippets Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2013
    I have a broody hen that was on 12 eggs, we narrowed those down to 6 fertile eggs when candling and they have begun to hatch. Of course I had a dog show to go to yesterday and I KNEW they would pick that day to start, I got home and checked and we had one little baby. The lone white egg was working on coming out (the rest are brown eggs), but I found it had not made it this morning :( It never made it out of the shell, poor little guy :( So far I have one chick and there are 4 more eggs that have yet to do anything, when I candled them the other day you could not see through them anymore, could only see the air sac. I do hope some of the others hatch (all 4 would be great) so that this little guy isn't all by himself :( From the color of his egg we are guessing his mother is one of our Red Sex Link hens and the only roosters we have are two Old English Game bantams and a Cochin bantam and it appears his daddy is our Cochin (he has fuzzy feet) :) Will be fun to see this little guy grow up, here is a pic, and hopefully the others will start hatching and make it out and he has some siblings (and I'll have more pics to post) I just snapped a quick pic of him last night with my phone, so not a great pic but here it is. You could see where the white egg was working on getting out but he/she didn't make it :(

[​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Cute chick! Good luck with the rest of the hatch!

3. jessietacos

jessietacos Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2014
    Daww! What a sweet little fuzz ball

4. sdwhippets

sdwhippets Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2013
    Still nothing on the other eggs, I'm afraid they may not hatch :( She's continuing to sit on them but when I've checked there has been no movement and no internal pip that I can see. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by