Broody hen hatching eggs ANTS ON NEW CHICKS

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by StephanieD, Mar 14, 2011.

1. StephanieD

StephanieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    I have one of six eggs hatching in the coop with a broody Silkie and there are red ants on the 1 hour old chick, biting it. What can I do to remove the ants without moving the eggs and hen???

2. wayneh

wayneh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    N. E. Alabama
    think I would move everything. don't know if you have fire ants, but if you do and those bitting your chick are fire ants. Your chick will not withstand an attack from fire ants. maybe your momma also. I had rather loose some unhatched eggs than my hen and the live chick.

3. StephanieD

Mar 9, 2011
    I went to the feed store and purchased DE. Contacted DE by phone and they said it was fine to use in nesting box and around chicks. I went out to check Silkie and she does NOT want me near here now so I'm hoping the chicks are ok.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would move them and dust generously right away. I lost several hatching chicks to this because I found them too late. Mama won't be happy with you AT ALL, though!

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Agreed. Don`t worry about upsetting mom, just do it. I hope DE will work for you. Everything I read makes me think it is a worthless waste of money. Sevin Dust will do the job and IS safe for your purpose. Good luck........Pop

6. StephanieD

Mar 9, 2011
    At this point I don't have anywhere to move them!

7. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:Just put a glove on and move momma. Have the DE ready in the other hand and apply to the nest. You don't have to move them all. Just get the dust on. It will take a while to kill the ants by drying them out...but they may let off from biting your chicks. Put momma back when you are done!

8. StephanieD

Mar 9, 2011
    Quote:Just put a glove on and move momma. Have the DE ready in the other hand and apply to the nest. You don't have to move them all. Just get the dust on. It will take a while to kill the ants by drying them out...but they may let off from biting your chicks. Put momma back when you are done!

So, I can sprinkle this directly on the eggs that are currently hatching? thanks

9. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I too prefer 5% Sevin Dust, or other similar insecticidal dusts, to the DE. Especially when I need immediate results. Look for a product that says it's safe to use in dog beds. I would dust a new corner of the coop, add new bedding, and move the hen & her eggs there. I don't think that she would abandon the nest at this time. You can blow the ants off the new chick to get them away.

Once I had a hen who left a few eggs in her nest after all the rest of her chicks hatched. She had the chicks on an outing when I heard loud peeping from the nest. There was a late-pipping chick getting mobbed by fire ants, crawling in & out of the pip hole, torturing the poor chickie. I had to quickly peel off all the shell & membrane and blow off the ants. I didn't know if the chick would survive, but I thought it was better than letting it get eaten to death, tiny bite by tiny bite. I put the chick in a box with a desk light for heat & made it a nest in a damp washcloth. The chick stayed curled up for a long time, but eventually dried, straightened out, and was able to walk & eat after a few days. Then it did just fine, growing & developing normally
    ... until a snake killed it! [​IMG]

10. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    DE does work on the ants. I do agree in moving mom and everyone away from the ants. So mom may bite but you will be saving them from a slow death.

Fun fact: Ants will not cross over a line of chalk.

DE is kinda chalkie if you think about it and it kills them by drying them out.

Hope you successful help mom and babies. Let us know how they are doing as we will be worrying with you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by