1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody hen, hatching imminent, advice please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Imelda, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Imelda

Imelda New Egg

Oct 29, 2010
    I have a broody hen sitting on 5 fertile eggs, purchased from a breeder as I don't have a cockeral. They are due to hatch as of tomorrow, if all goes to plan?! At the moment we have been lifting her off the nest twice a day to encourage her to eat and drink otherwise she wouldn't get off them. Does anyone have any advise about the next crucial days, wether we should carry on lifting her off, we don't want to harm chicks if they are hatching. How long can she go without food and water.

Many Thanks

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I would just let nature take its course. Once the chicks in the eggs start preparing to hatch, she probably won't get off and needs to stay on to keep the heat/humidity just right. If it is hot and you are really worried, try holding up a bowl of water to her and let her drink some a few times over the next couple of days.

Good luck - sending good hatching vibes your way!

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:I gree with Janice-leave her be so close to hatch time-She will eat and drink when she needs to-we promise:)

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I have a hen who does not leave her eggs unless she is lifted, but I leave her alone from 2 days before the expected hatch date, placing food and water close to her at this time. as soon as I hear cheeping, I place pebbles in the water (to avoid chick drowning) and chick starter nearby.

My hen has three eggs which may hatch tomorrow and i have not lifted her since yesterday.

5. Imelda

Imelda New Egg

Oct 29, 2010
    Thanks for advise, it's our first time, really hoping she has some success!We're in England, don't thinks there's much chance of her getting too hot and the summer seems to have passed us by!!

Thanks for positive vibes, feel like it's me going through it not her!

6. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I have a broody that never gets off the nest either. I ended up taking a chick feeder and water container and putting it in her nesting box with her. At least then I know she is eating and drinking.

7. chixbreastrbest

chixbreastrbest Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Denver CO
    i am new to chickens as well...i started with 6 chickens and im pretty sure 4 are roosters!....i want as least 5 or 6 chickens
    to keep each other warm in the winter! any suggestions on this raising em

8. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Sending good luck with your broody momma. They know what they are doing.Just keep food and water close so she doesnt have to get off the nest. As for summer passing you by... if you send some cool this way I'll send you some heat. It has been in the 90's with haet indexes in the 100's for a month. Unusual for us. I lost a bantam rooster last weekend to the heat. I'll be glad when summer is over.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:Please start your own topic so your post doesn't get lost in this thread. Thanks! [​IMG]

10. Imelda

Imelda New Egg

Oct 29, 2010
    Thanks to one and all for the advise about my broody hen sitting on eggs. I'v just checked on her and sat quietly and two little yellow heads popped out from under her! So sweet! I held a dish of water to her but she wouldn't take any, just sat puffed up and defensive. She wouldn't take meal worms either which are normally her favorite. I know it's happened a million times before but how long should she be left before I intervene or will she do it of her own accord? Don't want her getting poorly.

Thanks once again, worried step granny?!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by