Broody hen hatching question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by spowell, Sep 25, 2011.

1. spowell

spowell Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    I have a silkie hen that went broody during Labor Day weekend. She had 2 eggs on monday. She stole one egg a day for the next 4 days. So she had a staggered hatch. My question is, should I pick up the babies as they hatch and give them all back when they are all done? [​IMG]

2. mama dixie

mama dixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    I dont think so, I am a newbie at this but why are you thinking you should take the babies? are they eating and drinking and do they just go back and sit under mom while she is on the nest? I think they are fine, I would worry if you take them she might not welcome them back. anyone else have any feed back?

3. needlefrau

needlefrau Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2009
    SW Washington
    Trust the hen to know what she is doing. Mother Nature has been at this business a great deal longer than we have.

4. spowell

spowell Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    I was afraid she would abandon the rest of the eggs.

5. mama dixie

mama dixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    my two broodie hens have started having eggs hatching on sunday we are now up to 10 [​IMG] the mom's still set on the nests but I have them in a rabit hutch and a dog kenel so they can set on the nest and still get up to teach there new babies how to eat and drink and scratch and stuff then they go and set down and hope for more babies. they are so so cute. this is my first time hatching some, ya like I hatched them :O the mama's worked so hard and were so hungry and thirsty when I put food in with them in there new digs they just ate and ate and ate. once they felt the babies were safe they are just lovin life and being mom's. what kind are you broodie mom's...I keep taking eggs from the others and they scream. I think they want to hatch some but this seems like we should hold off for spring. all the hens seem curious about the babies and good with them one got out of the dog run and the hen close by puffed up and protected it from a roo, I dont know if the roo would hurt it but better safe than sorry. how long untill yours hatch..

6. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I had a staggered hatch with my hen a while back and 2 days after the first few hatched she abandoned the rest of the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by