1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

broody hen hatching?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cowman910, Feb 8, 2009.

1. cowman910

cowman910 Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    i have a broody hen [​IMG] who is always sitting on eggs but i take them from her every day so she can eat/drink and get some fresh air. i am not sure if my rooster is fertilizing the eggs so i decided to let her keep one and turn it every day so i can candle it and see if it is/was fertile. if it is fertile and still alive should i let her keep it since i dont have an incubator? i am not sure if a chick will hatch [​IMG] in my coop because i am worried [​IMG] that the other chickens will eat the egg or the chick [​IMG]

2. chicken_dude

chicken_dude In the Brooder

Feb 7, 2009
    you should let her keep a clutch of 12 eggs and see what happens. if after a week the eggs dont look slick and shiny they will be okay to eat.

3. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Songster

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    OK I gotta know?!? Are the chickens sitting on the eggs and polishing them to pass the time? Why or how do they get slick and shiny???

4. cowman910

cowman910 Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    all the hens are doin is sitting on the eggs and turning them. i have seen them pick dirt of the eggs but thats about it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by