Broody hen help please!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tabba, Oct 10, 2013.

1. tabba

tabba New Egg

Aug 20, 2013
    I just saw my black hen go broody the other day I want her to hatch chicks I just don't know if I need to do anything for her and also I wanted to now how many eggs she can hatch she had 2 under her and I gave her two more to see if she would take them and any other tips to would be great!

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    How many chickens do you have? Are they mellow or bullies? How big is your coop? Where has she gone broody (on the floor, in an elevated nestbox)? What breed is she?
    Sorry, we need more info. There are 2 very long threads in this section specifically about broody hens and what others do. I, personally, leave my hens to brood wherever they decide they'd like to sit (which is typically in my nestboxes, which are 3" off the floor). I have 4 Silkies (1 rooster, 3 hens) and a Sizzle pullet in a 6'x6' coop. They have access to a large run and only sleep and lay eggs inside the coop so my broodie(s) aren't disturbed. I mark the eggs I intend to hatch with a sharpie and remove any unauthorized eggs from the nest everyday. When the chicks hatch, I do nothing except provide food and water. Momma does everything else. This is what works for me, but it may not work for your situation.
    If your hen is lower in the pecking order and tends to be bullied, you'll probably have to separate her so she can do her job in peace. Anyway, I'll wait for more information on how you're set up and respond back [​IMG]

3. tabba

tabba New Egg

Aug 20, 2013
    Sorry I didn't put more info I have 3 roosters and 44 hens. They can get pretty angry when a hens in there nest box and I've seen them fight every once in a while they used to pick on my one hen that had strattle legs but there done with that now. I'm not exactly sure how big my coop is but its on the bigger side I can walk into it has a roost and they all fit onto it two feeders one waterer 12 nesters 5 windows and they can just go all over the yard they stay out most of the day except to eat and drink. She went broody I n an elevated nest box about 2 feet of the floor and I am pretty sure she's a jersey giant but she's no bigger than any of the other hens

4. tabba

tabba New Egg

Aug 20, 2013
    Sorry I didn't put more info I have 3 roosters and 44 hens. They can get pretty angry when a hens in there nest box and I've seen them fight every once in a while they used to pick on my one hen that had strattle legs but there done with that now. I'm not exactly sure how big my coop is but its on the bigger side I can walk into it has a roost and they all fit onto it two feeders one waterer 12 nesters 5 windows and they can just go all over the yard they stay out most of the day except to eat and drink. She went broody I n an elevated nest box about 2 feet of the floor and I am pretty sure she's a jersey giant but she's no bigger than any of the other hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by