1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody hen help! Should I let her hatch or ???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Txcat, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Txcat

Txcat Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Hawley
    I have a hen that keeps going broody, first time was in Sept, took til Nov to finally break her [​IMG] . Now she's broody again. Should I just give her a few eggs to set out? It's getting to cold time here in Central Texas. This hen is almost impossible to break, and somehow manages to steal eggs and golf balls too! How she gets them around the partition in between the boxes is beyond me!! I so want to put in cameras to see, LOL!
    Her blasted sister will donate for her to boot [​IMG] . Last time I penned her in the cage for almost 2 months and thought she was gonna starve before she finally broke! Pfft she STILL ruffles her feathers at me [​IMG] . Anyway, she is half Black Jersey ans half RIR, neither of which, as far as I've found, are apt to set, but,somebody forgot to tell her that. Her sister tried but 3 days caged and she was broke and went back to laying shortly.
    I hate the thought of freezing babies, and having to keep her caged for as long as it takes to break her, since she is so stubborn. Sure wish she'd have waited til spring! Any advice? All my other hens except 2 have moved into and old barrel I cut a door in in a different coop to lay. 1 lays in the 1st box (there are 3 built together out of an old headboard). DS is in the middle and steals eggs somehow from the 2 on either side of her! The other, an Americauna lays in another barrel in that coop, And, DS tries to roll her egg out and towards her nest, LOL! She just cant get it up the 1 1/2 foot into the nest!
    I'm afraid that if she keeps on all my hens are going to head for the bushes to lay!! Please, advise!!!

2. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    You could put her in a dog kennel inside and let her hatch babies there, if you really want some. But you probably don't want a chicken in the house. It will probably be okay for them being outside- thats what mama's wings are for!

3. Barred Rocker

Barred Rocker cracked egg

Jul 15, 2009
    King and Queen Co, Va
    I had a Black Copper Marans hen that was determined to go broody last winter. I went ahead and let her hatch a half dozen right around Christmas. I put a heat lamp in her coop and they did fine.

4. Txcat

Txcat Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Hawley
    Thanks, I guess I'll just give her some eggs and let her do her thing!She's very determined and sooo hard to break it's probably the easiest way out, LOL!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by