Broody Hen Help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by oscare66, Feb 26, 2017.

1. oscare66

oscare66 Just Hatched

Aug 30, 2016
    This is my first time raising chickens and today I had a real surprise. I was wondering when all my hens were gonna start laying since they are about 21 weeks old. I did get a couple of eggs here and there the. Lordy be hold I stumbled upon a nest with a broody he. Sitting on top of them. What should I do. I candled them all and you can see the spiderweb vanes all ready. Should I move the nest ( witch is outside the coop) back in or let it be. Please help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. oscare66

oscare66 Just Hatched

Aug 30, 2016
    [​IMG]

3. oscare66

oscare66 Just Hatched

Aug 30, 2016
    That's what I found.

4. oscare66

oscare66 Just Hatched

Aug 30, 2016
    ?

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    OyVey! What a mess!

Biggest problem will be staggered hatching, who knows how many of those eggs were laid after she started to set.
    I assume she has been spending the night out there instead of locked safely in the coop?
    Do you have a safe coop and do a head count each night when you lock up?

Second is her safety from predators.
    Moving her can break her broodiness...but probably worth a try unless you are willing to leave them there and cover her with a cage or something to protect her.

Make a secure place for her to set in the coop, maybe excluding the other birds.
    Best to move her and the good eggs at night after dark using a muted flashlight so you can see,
    she's more likely to settle in while 'sleeping' and when she can't see to escape.
    She might stay just fine, or completely revolt.

Either way, choose some eggs that look to be at the same development stage and mark them, remove the rest of them.

There's lots of other considerations that I don't have time to write right now, but that should get you started.
    Knowing more about your coop/run/flock/climate and your goals would help.

This thread has lots of good info:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/496101/broody-hen-thread

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I agree with Aart. I'd make her a nice secluded nest in the coop, pick 10-12 eggs that look to be close to the same development, and move her at night. There is no way she can cover and rotate all those eggs evenly.

I have moved broodies at night with mixed results. Most of them handled the move just fine, one went bonkers and destroyed her nest.

7. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I would as stated , pick out 10 good eggs that are viable and around the same development....I just set up the nest where I want it set up...Put the eggs in and put in the hen with food and water....I walk away so she settles onto the eggs....I've hatched out two Broody Hens and Just move her when I need too.....During the day she is not tired or stupid and understands to look after her eggs....Chickens have been hatching eggs longer than we have been interfering....

Cheers!

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Love that statement!

I have tried moving broodies during the day, and never had any luck. But that's just my experience. Chickens are quirky things. You just never know what's going to work. I don't think they read the same books on chicken keeping that we do...

9. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Thanks, I didn't mean to sound harsh... It works for me...

Cheers!

10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.

I didn't take it that way - I thought it was great.

And we all have different experiences and what works for one isn't necessarily going to work for someone else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by