Broody Hen... help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kbadkins, Apr 18, 2009.

1. kbadkins

kbadkins Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Yorba Linda, Ca
    I have a 9 month Cochin that I have for a pet. I have 3 actually but one I have does nothing but sit in her nest all day... I am not raising more chickens so I dont need her to be broody. My chickens share one nest and she hogs it up and my others start to lay on the ground and the rats get to the eggs.
    I try and move her often and let her out of the coop to roam the yard as often as I can. I even took the nest out and moved it.. but she found a spot where I keep the nest to lay in..

How can I stop this... I don't want her to starve or get sick ... Shes my pretty girl [​IMG]

Should I give her away to someone that wants a broody hen ?

2. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    You can try to break her of her broodiness. Some use a cage or hutch with a wire bottom. I would make sure you give her fresh food and water. It might take a couple of days to break it.

3. kbadkins

Apr 18, 2009
    Yorba Linda, Ca
    Ok does the wire bottom make a difference ?

4. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    I have not had to break a broody but I believe the wire bottom does matter -
    they cannot have a place they can nest

5. DouglasPeeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    From what I have heard, yes, it is the wire. The wire and then air being able to come underneath. Not sure of all the reasons....sorry.

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Let her raise some and then sell them! You can enjoy the experience, she gets to fulfill her purpose in life, and you can even make a little profit off the whole thing. You may even be able to sell them at your local TSC. [​IMG]

7. kbadkins

Apr 18, 2009
    Yorba Linda, Ca
    in order to raise you need a rooster right ?? I don't live in an area where I can have a rooster ..[​IMG]

8. DouglasPeeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Yes, you do need a rooster to have fertile eggs.

9. kbadkins

Apr 18, 2009
    Yorba Linda, Ca
    hahah maybe I can whore her out ....

10. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    if you put your hand under a broody it very hot by having a wire floor it cooles down her chest and breakes her, plus for every day shes broody it takes about 2 days to break her i.e. 4 days broody 8 days to break, its is not an perfect but gives you an idea how long to keep her in the cage to break her. Some broodys are unbreakable or will start to brood a few day or weeks later.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by