1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Hen...how do you count day 1

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MuskokaChick, Jun 23, 2011.

1. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    I have 2 silkie hens and one of them is sitting...she was sitting off and on yesterday, so I didn't think she was broody quite yet...

This morning I opened their pen and she ran off the egg ran outside and did the biggest dump I have ever seen...gross and then she ate a few bites and back on the eggs...she has come off for nothing since so it is safe to assume tomorrow is day 1? There were 11 eggs between them yesterday...and I haven't been able to count to see if they have stopped laying today...

I also have 8 in the incubator (day 9) with 5 of them with moving chicks. [​IMG]

Just wanted an idea when to expect her chicks...

tia

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Today is probably day one but since a brood can have chicks hatch over the course of a couple days then it shouldn't matter too much.

3. MuskokaChick

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    I just went out to see if I could lure her off her eggs with some of her fav treat (cooked rice) and she just puffed up and growled...

I am thinking tomorrow would be Day 1, if she stays put for the most part right?

What is a normal time for her to be off the nest per day??? 30 min? longer...less?

atia

4. MuskokaChick

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    Zaxby's2 :

Today is probably day one but since a brood can have chicks hatch over the course of a couple days then it shouldn't matter too much.

ok cool...thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by