Broody hen, how to break her???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RhondaLynn, Feb 25, 2013.

1. RhondaLynn

RhondaLynn Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2011
    I have a Buff Orphington (sp) who just started "sitting". Unfortunately she is switching nesting boxes each day so she is not doing a very good job. How do I break from trying to sit?

Rhonda

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Do you wish to break her up or are you reluctant to sit her for fear that she is not serious about sitting?

If you wish to break her you can put her in a swinging cage in the middle of the chicken pen for a few days, or put her into a pen alone with a young roo with a hormone overabundance. Either one or both should getter done.

3. RhondaLynn

RhondaLynn Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2011
    I actually put a few eggs under her the 3rd day I found her in the same nest box.. (i was sure it was the same hen) and then the next day she was in the nest beside that one.. the next day she was back to the first nest.

I would love to put eggs under her but I am afraid she will just waste the eggs. I have actually marked 4 eggs and put them under her.. I truly want to let her do what comes natural. I am going to see how she does today. I was just wondering what to do if she keeps nest jumping.

Rhonda

4. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    Maybe you should put her in a cage by her self with one nest, try that, maybe she will stay in one box. The others might just be pushing her out of the way to lay or something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by