Broody hen - if she's okay, can I just let her brood?

kateseidel

Songster
10 Years
Jan 9, 2010
Just reviewed this thread on broody hens - somehow in my selection process I missed Buff Orpingtons being prone to broodiness. More likely, it meant nothing to me and I ignored it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=181289&p=1

Anyway, one of the Ethels (all of my BOs are named Ethel) is definitely broody, a relief to find out that's all it was after worrying she was sick, what the feather fluffing, growling, and nest sitting which has been going on for three days. But, she is still friendly, I can pick her up for a lap cuddle, she seems to like a scratch, and will let me reach underneath her to collect eggs (I want to know how other hens are getting in there to lay eggs for her to sit on since she is ALWAYS on the nest, but whatever).

The other hens are managing to lay their eggs elsewhere, and so far, she is still getting up on the roost to sleep at night. So, is it okay to just let her be until she works it out? As long as she's not doing herself, or anyone else, any harm, I can't see a need to "break" the broody.

My broody hen
46815_broodyethel.jpg

One of the "displaced" Ethels, forced to use a nest box!! This is as indignant as a hen can be.
46815_displacedethel.jpg

I just let my hen go through it without trying to break it. When she gets broody, it usually lasts for 2-3 wks. I do make sure that I get her off the nest to go out and eat, drink and take her dust baths, which she does. I usually get her off the nest 3-4 times a day.

Back
Top Bottom