Broody Hen in Dec?????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by csaiz100, Dec 15, 2014.

1. csaiz100

csaiz100 Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2014
    New Mexico
    I have 1 hen (Going on 2 years old) that has decided to sit on eggs. This is December[​IMG]!!! Since this is my first broody hen ever I am pretty clueless[​IMG]

She is in my haybarn and has moved the eggs by about a foot. How long do they sit on them and do they move them. And yes, I do have a Roo, so I think they might be fertile. We have pretty much left her alone, When she does go out for a minute the eggs are warm. Last week she had 3 eggs, now she has 7 eggs. What should I do, will they hatch? I have a set-up to move the chicks indoors after the hatch (Brooder) since this in December and below freezing at night - Help, what should or should I not do[​IMG]

2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Try moving her to a nesting place of her own where she will not be bothered by other chickens or predators. She may fuss around for a bit of time, but should eventually settle. If she is still in distress hours after you moved her, I say put her back. These are babies being risked. You do not want them to die. Move her at night, the eggs first. Put her down onto them and nudge one it her view if you have to. Try to keep her calm. It often ends better if she is in a safer, more controlled place.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Show a picture of her nest and its general location.

4. csaiz100

May 22, 2014
    New Mexico
    She is in my haybarn in a corner surrounded by bales, I will try to take pics after I get home from work. Do broody hens usually move the eggs over a foot or so? Thats all she did, I don't think she moved them because she got spooked, she pretty well has the barn to herself.

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Location typical and ideal. Counter measures if needed for predators and needs of chicks once hatched will be your biggest concerns so long as bales not scheduled for being moved. Moving eggs not unheard of.

6. csaiz100

May 22, 2014
    New Mexico
    I do have my "brooder" ready (big plastic barrel, cut down to about 2 feet, wood shavings, heat lamp, feed dish, water fountain and chick starter). No predators in the barn. How long will it take? 3 weeks?

7. Free Feather

About. How long has she been there?

8. csaiz100

May 22, 2014
    New Mexico
    About 2 weeks or so, but I keep finding more eggs under her every so often. There is 1 other hen who will lay in the barn, have not found any of her eggs. Could it be the broody hen put them in her nest?

9. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Stop the placement of new eggs in the nest. Either mark current eggs or deny other hen's access to nest site.

1 person likes this.
  10. Free Feather

I have had hatches completely ruined because of new, unwanted eggs. She wastes her energy trying to cover them, other hens disturb her, and the hatch will be staggered so she will ignore hatched chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by