Broody hen In favorite nesting box

Silikiemamma23

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2022
i have a silkie chicken that decided she wants to be a mama but, she is laying in the chickens favorite box. How to I go about keeping the other chickens from bothering her, without moving her? I tried to move her already and she went right back to the old nest when she got up to eat.

i have a silkie chicken that decided she wants to be a mama but, she is laying in the chickens favorite box. How to I go about keeping the other chickens from bothering her, without moving her? I tried to move her already and she went right back to the old nest when she got up to eat.
How long has she been incubating the eggs?
Do you actually have room for these chicks when the grow up?
What will you do with the cockerels from the hatch?
How large is your coop and is it elevated or walk-in?
Do you keep the flock contained to a run during the day and if so, how large is it or are they free range?

How long has she been incubating the eggs?
Do you actually have room for these chicks when the grow up?
What will you do with the cockerels from the hatch?
How large is your coop and is it elevated or walk-in?
Do you keep the flock contained to a run during the day and if so, how large is it or are they free range?
shes been sitting on the since yesterday
yes i have room for chicks
i will be keeping the cockerels from the hatch
my coop is pretty roomy for more chickens and elevated.
My chickens are both free range and have a run

is pretty roomy
Define with dimensions, please. How many birds do you currently have?
i will be keeping the cockerels from the hatch
This is very rarely practical unless you have a second setup for them to live in once they hit sexual maturity.

A broody hen needs space to work with and it is very difficult for the chicks to learn to navigate the ramp to get back in elevated coops when mom finally decides to take them out. They would need assistance until they learned

In order to move a broody to a new spot she needs to be locked away from her original nest. I use dog transport kennels and place them in the coop. Each morning I let the broody out to eat, drink and poo. If she returns to her original nest I pick her up and stick her back in the cage. If she returns to the kennel regularly, I may leave the kennel open.
If you want her to have certain eggs give them to her after she settles on fake eggs or eggs that you don't want to keep.
Another way to manage a broody is to mark the eggs you want her to sit on. Then remove all other eggs daily. Keep an eye on her not to switch nests.

My chicks learn to use the ramp.

Back
Top Bottom