broody hen in hot weather!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bacongirl27, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Bacongirl27

Bacongirl27 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    Arizona
    Last week my hen decided to go broody for the first time on me, the only problem is that it is 107 degrees out side and I am not able to put a fan in the coop. Usually I let them free-range during the day so they find shade under trees and by the water. Are here eggs going to even hatch? I have tried to move her and she will not let me. What should I do? The thought of a few chicks from her is nice but I dont want her to stay in that hot coop! ( BTW it cools down significantly when the sun sets in there... down to the 80s) Any suggestions?

2. Bacongirl27

Apr 23, 2010
    Arizona
    I have put ice packs in the coop and I try and give her frozen fruits but she will only take a bit of them. What else do you think I can do? I also have week old chicks, should I try and put them with her at night so maybe she will leave her nest and raise them or is that to risky for the chicks? Thanks!

3. macmama

macmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Well my broody hatched 5/5 successfully just 2 1/2 weeks ago (I'm in Gilbert) and I didn't do anything but make sure she was always shaded and had water within reach. My other broody is due any time now (using an adjusted 19 days for the heat) so we'll see...
    It does seem way too hot to sit on a nest right now, but I noticed that they always took their "break" right around 4pm when it was hottest. I'll let you know how mine turns out. Good luck!

ETA: Mine wouldn't eat anything either from my hand, but once a day I lifted each of them off of the nest and set them near the food and water. They would spend several minutes just drinking, eat a little, and hop back on their nests.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  4. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Quote:In my opinion giving her week old chicks is very risky. She may try to kill them. I know it's hot but a broody doesn't care how hot or cold it gets...she will sit even if there isn't any eggs under her. Keep cool water within her reach.

5. Bacongirl27

Apr 23, 2010
    Arizona
    Thanks for the advice. Yep, my hen comes out at about 5 o'clock, takes a drink and poops....lol...they right back to her nest... they are determined little buggers aren't they?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by