Broody hen in my kitchen cupboard

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sumi, Feb 28, 2012.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Silly hen wants to lay eggs in our kitchen cupboard, so I put an old feed sack in there for her to lay on, so she doesn't make a mess. I've noticed 3 days ago she was in there every time I look and I was getting worried. Thought she might be egg bound or something. She only started laying recently. Turned out she's so broody, she's sitting on nothing. But she's sitting. Got 2 other hens laying in her spot now, so she's got 2 eggs and I thought, what the hell, I gave her some more eggs to sit on.
    My hens come and go in and out of our house all the time, some of them lay their eggs in here, one of them leaves an egg on my bed every other day! So this is just part of the fun.

2. CSWolffe

CSWolffe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City
    Wait, your chickens come and go in your house? Isn't that a bit, um, messy?

3. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    OMG!!!!! "Eyes popping out!"
    Are you kidding me. Even Granny Clampett doesn't allow chickens in the kitchen.

4. ya, um, do u have them potty trained?
    but still how fun!!

5. magnolia-1971

magnolia-1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    SE Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My chickens occasionally wander into the house through a door I haven't closed completely and one of the dogs or cats has opened further.

I have a flock of 50 pr so chickens, and only four or five are interested in coming inside to look around. They just stroll in, looking around. One - Paprika - has twice laid an egg at the base of the cat scratching post.

It is not like they come inside, en masse, to all poop all over the place in the house! :D. Here a poop, there a poop, easy to wipe up and clean after. It's more likely one of them will poop if I try to chase her out.

A chicken stroll across the floor is not the same thing as housing the flock inside the house.

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    We get the odd poop, but I clean up regularly and don't really mind. For hygiene reasons I do limit where they're allowed to go. The section of the cupboard she's using is usually empty, except for egg boxes or empty jam jars. We have a huge deep cupboard and we don't use all of it. I put down an old feedsack for her to sit on, so if she does a poo it's easy to clean up. I must confess I'm allowing this one to do this, cause she's one of our favourites. Most of the hens are not allowed in here, but the ones I raised from chicks are welcome to pop in now and then to say Hi or lay an egg.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  8. magnolia-1971

magnolia-1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    SE Wisconsin
    wow, How about a picture?[​IMG]

9. Snack Giver

Snack Giver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Seattle
    Well our birds come inside too. They enter through the deck door and get a snack, and then leave. They'll hit the cat food bowl. I know you guys with 40 birds think its crazy, but we have 6 and they are so **** cute that neither my wife or I can say "no". Our kitchen has old linolieum flooring and the poop wipes right up with a papertowel and a lysol wipe. I'm just saying this because I don't blame people for treating their birds like household pets. Some of them are so curious they want to see whats in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by