Broody hen in November

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LeviS, Nov 14, 2013.

1. LeviS

LeviS Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    North Dakota
    Ok so I have a dark brahma pullet who up an decides that now would be the best time to start a family. At the moment she is attempting to fulfill her dream by hatching three golf balls....... Now while this isn't that big of an issue, because so far I've kept my better instincts and put my foot down on not giving her anything more than her golf balls, I may be starting to crack. :/ every time I see a picture of a baby chick, I think oh man spring couldn't come fast enough!
    So say I slipped her a few eggs.....would she be able to keep them warm enough? I mean, this is a early December late November hatch we are talking about...in the coldest place on earth! (North dakota) I have the option of my brooder box, which is like 2x4 ish with maybe a heat lamp. In the house is out of the question, as I have two cats that know how to open doors and would just find a chicken that isn't going to chase them across the yard...fascinating. I may also have the option of having the heated room in my newly constructed barn complete, but I'm not holding my breath for that one.
    So what ya all think, stay strong and say no! Or go for it!

2. Of course I live in sunny CA, but I have let my hens hatch eggs during the winter. I know you live in a colder place, I say go for it, just use a heat lamp, she may be good enough on her own, but.. If you decide to stay strong and not let her hatch, I am sure this won't help but:
    [​IMG]
    Sorry I had too!

3. LeviS

May 22, 2012
    North Dakota
    Ahh no, ugh, must resist the fluffy!!!! Why!!!,!! Lol

I think Ill try and move her to the kitty carrier( cats will love to see that go out the door without one of them in it, from their hiding spots of course) and see if she's still serious after that. This would be my first broody and while I've read up a lot on it, I just wasn't expecting them to decide to do this so soon. And for it to be a flock effort as Shes got the others in on it too, they try to slip her eggs all the time and will even put one on the floor to try and throw me off!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  4. LeviS

May 22, 2012
    North Dakota
    And yes, I probably did just crack. Thanks a lot. :gig

........:jumpy yay!

5. LeviS

May 22, 2012
    North Dakota
    So as far as a broody hen hatching eggs...if I were to get her some shipped eggs.....would they have a better chance of hatching with her than with an incubator? I know there's always a risk with the shipped eggs, but I've never really heard anyone say they were using a broody hen for shipped eggs (or maybe this is to common to mention)? I'm guessing I would have to let them set a day to get un scrambled (hopefully not that bad lol) but other wise they might equal fuzzy chickies[​IMG]? Anyone have experience with this, I know your out there! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by