Broody hen in October!!!

SamanthaJo

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 29, 2012
I think my bared rock hen is broody, yesterday evening I was doing one last egg check and she was in her nest box and she puffed herself up and seemed really upset, so this morning she was still there and still upset that I was looking at her =) if she is broody were gonna let her hatch them. What should we do since it's October???

I had a 2 broody hens just a week ago. I evicted them and assigned them to another yard of the same breed for a week, then I'll put em back.
I do this often, but it's not too late in the season for a broody hen, not in south Louisiana.
Good Luck!

I had a 2 broody hens just a week ago. I evicted them and assigned them to another yard of the same breed for a week, then I'll put em back. 
I do this often, but it's not too late in the season for a broody hen, not in south Louisiana.   
                                                                                                                                 Good Luck!

Hey thank you! This is my first time with a broody hen. Tomorrow will be the 4th day of her sitting on them!! I checked to see how many eggs she has, and she had 4 eggs under her=) we're thinking about moving her to a little coop so she can be alone and we are gonna set up a lamp
1f603.png
I'm so excited!

Here's a picture of her, me and my sister are still trying to figure out a name for her, any suggestions??

i thought my favourite hen had been taken since she was not in the final count at night and they free range during the day. I kept looking for her for a few days and assumed the worst.
hit.gif
About a week later......there was my hen....Bluebell. So the light bulb went on......lol.....I have a broody hen. In fact she is still classed a pullet and she has gone broody. I thought oh my goodness.....where is her nest? I looked best I could outside......and in a near by sheep pen. nope.....nothing. So I waited for her the next morning when she came running through the other hens. I watched and watched.......and finally she took off. But wait......she didn't go outside.....she jumped up on the horses manger.....and then up on the barn sil.....and then....she disappeared in the shadows. That little stinker has been sitting on a beam watching me each day lamenting that my favourite hen is gone.
tongue2.gif
I tried to stick my hand under her......lol. I figured if I wanted to keep all 5 fingers....I better stop bugging her. I live in Ontario Canada.....so I will have to get something rigged up for her and the little chicks.
celebrate.gif

on a wonderful side note....considering where she has her nest....it will only be her eggs and not other hens mixed in as it is all too often.

Back
Top Bottom