broody hen in the coop

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by blugrsnrs, Jul 16, 2008.

1. blugrsnrs

blugrsnrs New Egg

Nov 12, 2007
    upstate ny
    One of my hens has gone broody and I finally let her keep 5 eggs. Will the chicks be ok if i let her hatch them out in the coop with the other hens? Or should I move them to a separate coop? Also, my rooster flew the coop 3 weeks ago. Will this hens eggs still be fertile?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    My hen hatched her eggs in the same coop as another hen and a rooster, then i added 4 older chicks and everyone seems fine, the mama hen will peck anyone that trys to do anything to her chicks, they are pretty good at that !!!! I don't think there is a need to move her unless when they hatch the other chickens are real mean and the mom can't handle all of them !!!! from what i have read about fertile eggs, the eggs are fertile up to 10 days when a hen and a rooster get together. Good luck

3. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    It should be fine as long as the house is big enough to let her have a corner that lets get away from the other chickens. The hardest part is making sure they have safe access to water and food because the other chickens will eat their food and drink their water or knock it down. If they have to go to the "big" water,they may get in it and drown. I have a cuckoo marans hen with chicks in the back of their house.

4. blugrsnrs

blugrsnrs New Egg

Nov 12, 2007
    upstate ny
    My coop isnt very big. 8x10 i think. She now has 7 eggs. When should I candle them ? Will she eventually get off the nest to eat and drink?

5. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    She should get off at least once a day for 5-30 min to eat,drink,poop.... I know some hens don't like to get off at all, if mine don't get off in the morning while i'm out there i will nicely take her off and place her outside so she can do her thing, i usally make sure she finds her way back to the "right" nest... What kind of hen do you have ? I use to stick my hand under my hen and pull the eggs out to look at them or to candle, i belive most people candle at day 7, sometime i do on day 7 somtimes i do it later depends on how I feel !!!! How many chickens are in the coop with her ?

6. blugrsnrs

blugrsnrs New Egg

Nov 12, 2007
    upstate ny
    11 chicks in the coop with her. They have free access to a run out side. No other hens are broody right now. She is a mixed breed. Silver body with a golden head and a pea comb. Her name is Delila. She is one year old and had been laying an egg a day. If she keeps laying how will I know when to start counting for hatching?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  7. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    she is still laying eggs now ???

8. Rogue_Woman

Rogue_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    NC
    I would take her out and mark those eggs...the other hens are probably laying on top of her. But that's just my own paranoia, mine stayed in the house lol. Oh, and after less than a week of my roo being gone, the eggs were no longer fertile.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  9. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    yes,mark those eggs,then take out the unmarked ones everyday.

10. blugrsnrs

blugrsnrs New Egg

Nov 12, 2007
    upstate ny
    Well, the roo has been out for 3 weeks now, so I guess I'll replace them with some wyandots from a friend. poor momma. She wants some babies so bad. Also, I posted on another thread, she or one of the other hens ate one of the eggs last night. What could be causing this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by