broody hen in the woods - found her now what ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by saildog, Dec 30, 2012.

1. saildog

saildog Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2012
    OK after a week I have found a hen that has set up a nest in the woods. I thought she was dead at first then saw her coming around to eat an hour or so a day last few days. Should I just leave her now that I know where she is and can check on her, or do I move her and if so how. ? Do I put her in a big dog crate with the eggs on my porch? Do I just put her in the coop at night and toss the eggs away? I don't care that she has a nest in the woods now, but will the other hens start to do the same thing near her? I dont care if the eggs hatch or not, would be fine with new chicks or not, and don't know if the eggs are fertile either.

I have 17 hens 2 roosters they are all only about 7 months old and I think all but my 2 speckled sussex are laying. This one in the woods is a buff orpington.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If you really don't want chicks, I'd toss the eggs and lock her in a cage for several days to break her broodiness. She's at danger from predators in the woods, and it's a difficult time of year for raising outside chicks. (Making an assumption that you are dealing with winter right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by