1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Hen In Winter? Help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MrsPinkKitty, Oct 25, 2010.

1. MrsPinkKitty

MrsPinkKitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    One of my Hens went Broody yesterday even with the winter comeing and some night it get down to 40 [​IMG] ...Will she get it done>?[​IMG]

2. coolchickens

coolchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my Cochin hens went broody in Feb. and did okay. I know I worried as the incubator people keep their babies SO warm. I noticed my mama hen even took them out on day 2 (into the pen not free range) and would sit down for them whenever they were cold and they would run under her even though the ground was cold (not frozen here). If your hen is a good broody, she will sit and keep them warm whenever they start chirping they are cold. I did put a heat lamp with a 60w bulb in it in the hen house near her nest box so when they got out to eat or drink they were warmed up by it, other than that they were fine. I've got 2 broody hens sitting on the same nest right now and they have both hen eggs and duck eggs under them. I didn't want babies right now but guess they decided different so my ducks got in and layed a few for them to sit on also. Don't know what will come of this batch! If the mama does not do a good job of sitting/warming your's, you may have to do a broody box indoors. Just watch her and see. Good luck!

3. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Hi MrsPinkkitty.

I haven't had one go through the winter before but I would imagine that the Momma hen would keep the eggs warm enough to hatch, but I am not sure that if it gets to cold that she may need some extra help herself. Are you ableto run a heat lamp out there for her for when it gets really cold. But right now I think 40 degrees is not to bad for the Momma, I would definitely think about putting her some heat and then even after the chicks hatch you should probably have a extra heat source to keep momma and babies warm enough.

Where are you located and do you have mild winters or are they extremely cold?

Oh and Congratulations on your broody hen [​IMG]

And [​IMG]

Lisa

4. krobin04

krobin04 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Lincoln County
    This is so funny to me, b/c I have a hen that went broody yesterday! We eat the eggs they lay, and I took the one out from under her last night- oooh she was mad. She hasn't left the nest in 2 days it seems. Do I put food/ water in the box with her, or will she get up occassionally? If I pick her up, she goes right back in. What to do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by