Broody hen/incubator question?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 4roosandahen, Feb 26, 2008.

1. 4roosandahen

4roosandahen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Has anyone ever started incubating eggs then had a hen go broody? Can I move my eggs from my little giant and put them under the hen and let her finish the job? [​IMG]
    Stephenie

2. MTtroutwithwings

MTtroutwithwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    Welcome to BYC ![​IMG]
    I can't answer your question but this post will at least bump your post up for a better chance of a response!

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have heard of it working. Just be prepared and know the risk of loosing them all.

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I dont know about bator to hen, but I have moved from hen to hen so I wont have Lots of babies, same # of babies, just under 2 hens instead of one.

Edited to say I put half of ones already being sat on under 2nd hen.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  5. MTtroutwithwings

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    Quote:Hi Stephenie,

I had just the opposite happen. Neighbor gave me 3 fertile eggs to place under one of my broody hens, she sat on them for three days then in the 4th day I went to check on her and she was in another nest totally off the ones I placed under her. I immediately removed the eggs and put them in the only bator I had available, one of those mini "chick -bators." Whether this will work or not remains to be seen. I'd play it save and leave your eggs in your bator. My experience is a "Broody" hen is a "Moody" hen and may be unreliable! [​IMG]

Lori

6. 4roosandahen

4roosandahen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Thanks everyone for any help you can give me. I am a total newbie at this. As I write this I am now also having humidity issues with my still air incubator:eek: It is all the sudden only reaching 25% I have water in all the water wells and don't know what is going on(we are on day 2 of the incubation). So,I was thinking that if one of my hens or my friends got broody about now [​IMG] the little peeps would have a better chance with a real chicken mommy instead of me. I guess I will just keep going.

Stephenie
    BTW I only have these little precious eggs because we had a chicken/rooster massicure at my friends house. She had an absolute beautiful rooster that was killed [​IMG] by a stray dog. Not to mention many of her hens that perished that day too, Very sad.....

7. MTtroutwithwings

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    Kudos to you for trying to save the eggs [​IMG] Curse those darn strays for taking the lives of our feathered friends, seems we've all been there...[​IMG]

Lori

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by