Broody Hen info

snakelife

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 16, 2013
Hi all!

Okay so my buff orpingtion mix went broody a few weeks ago. I put 5 duck eggs under her and a dozen assorted eggs i bought from some 4-Her's. I know this is alot of eggs for my poor girl to sit on but obviously they won't all hatch. Anyways i believe shes rolling them and she is being a good mama from what i can tell. so what should i do now that the due date is creeping up on me. (Easter Sunday- how perfect!?) Im thinking of blocking her off with chicken wire and letting her have half the coop t herself and away from the other girls. Im worried that the chicks will wander off a little ways and get hurt by the two other hens i have in with my broody. Is it a good idea to block her off from the rest of the flock? any other words of advice? this is my first time doing this so my fingers are crossed. I'm hoping for at least a few babies.

I blocked her off today with hardware cloth and stapled it to the coop really well. She has food and water right now and nice fresh bedding in her little niche. She seems alot happier without frick and frack the two other hens bugging her. Ive been giving her yogurt and salads daily and she seems to like that. Im glad shes finally happy! any other advice?

I'd hold off on the salads. You don't want her to have loose poo while she's incubating. Yogurt ok in moderation. You might give her some scrambled egg, or other high protein food to help her stay well conditioned.

I'm feeding my broody chick starter. She doesn't need layer feed while she's not laying and I think since she's eating less she could use the extra protein that's in the chick starter. Also a little scratch grains. Yogurt is probably okay but it might not be a good time for veggies right now. Mine is also separated from the rest of the flock because where she chose they were climbing in with her to lay eggs all the time.

Ill hop off the salad for now. She's been eating the chick feed for a while now so I guess thats good. Hopefully we will have babies soon. Me and the family are so excited for potential babies!!!

Back
Top Bottom