Broody hen introduced 2 new eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jewels1935, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Hi everyone:) I have a broody Silkie hen who has 8 eggs scheduled to hatched November 18th. She's been sitting so well and is doing great. I've been candling the eggs and they're "keepers" I have her inside, cozy within my clothes hamper. She laid 2 more eggs this morning. Why? Should remove these new eggs? I fear she'll abandon them after her first set of chicks hatch.

2. jen85

jen85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Wow! That's strange for a broody hen to lay eggs once they start sitting! At least mine never have. Do you have an incubator you could put them in for the last couple of days if she does leave? It might be easier to go ahead and just take them out.

3. Jewels1935

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Quote:I know! I called my local Agriculture office and they said it was strange too. The guy said she might leave the two eggs behind, once she takes her chicks out of the nest. No, I don't have a bator:( The woman who sold me the silkie last Spring, does. I'll see if she will take them if she leaves the nest. If she stays, the peeps will be 6 days behind.

She also refuses to get off the nest, so I leave food and water next to her. She's eating, and poos 1 large smelly poo everyday. I've never seen a chicken do a 360 to bite and growl when messing with their eggs! lol

4. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    That is strange my broody oegb hen didn't lay until her chick was 3 weeks old and she had been sitting on 2 reg size eggs for two of the 3 weeks and they were duds and she was more than ready to rejoin the flock so she hangs out with the girls during the day and sleeps in the brooder with her chick at night and lays early in the morning because i also find an egg i her nest when i go to let everyone out. It's almost as strange an my male doxie raising a litter of kittens

5. Jewels1935

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Quote:Well I suppose anything can happen and nature can be strange at times. I just candled some eggs. I can clearly see spider veins and the embryo. All is going well with those. I'll leave the 2 new eggs with her. If she lays anymore, I guess I'll take 'em out. She's being such a good mother and wont budge of that nest. Maybe by luck, she'll sit an extra 6 days and hatch out the new peeps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by