1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody hen is a Kidnapper! Someone call americas most wanted

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by annrich, Jul 25, 2007.

1. annrich

annrich Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    So my momma hen went broody a couple of weeks ago. She's a little black batnam hen. I felt kind of like child protective services. I was taking the eggs not realizing what she wanted. Well if you all remember I also have 6 RIR starting to "become of age". Well one of my RIR started flipping out in the same nest box as "momma". I went in the coop to see what all the fuss was about. The RIR is standing at attention telling me in very loud chicken language that there has been a kidnapping. Well stupid me ushered her away from mama. The next day again the same thing. The RIR wouldn't get out of the box this time. so I decided I would wait, and wait. Well you all know how often a broody hen gets off the eggs. After what seemed like an eternity I looked in the nest. She stole my RIR very first egg. The size of a RIR egg and a batnam egg are very different. I told her that she was not so nice and let her keep it. My RIR has now learned that there are 8 other boxes to choose from and is laying there. So when she lays it's very very loud. I think she wants me to have the egg and not the theif we call "momma".

Do you think my RIR will start to be a little less nuts when she lays? or does she need therapy?

2. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    [​IMG] I don't know, but that's funny!

3. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    Thank you for making me laugh this morning!!!! That is hilarious!

Ashley

4. annrich

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    MUG SHOT!!!!!!!!
    (The date is wrong on the picture camera is junk) This pic was taken in april 07 lol
    \\[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

ann.....please inform "momma" that I am a member of the CPS ( Chicken Protective Services) And that if she decides to continue eggnapping...some drastic measure must be taken. ( ie: NO TREATS) and let her know... The Cock of the Walk (ie:Big brother) is watching...and listening. Also, pull aside the poor little RIR ( the vixtim) , and let her know in private..( we dont want everyone to know who the nark is) that she is to inform us of any further activity in "mommas" behaviour! [​IMG]

6. annrich

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    I need to make another report........ The perp. aka "momma" has 8 eggs in 4 days. You do the math lol.

She and the eggs are being moved to the evidence room were she will be kept under surveilence. I heard her say she might need witness protection. A special brooder is in her very near future. Like after Dh gets home.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  7. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

8. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG]

I have a thief in the hen house, too!!

9. missusduray

missusduray Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    Evidently we thought we were keeping chickens when infact we are keeping crooks!! I also have an egg theif!!

10. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    This is too funny!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by