Broody hen- Is it too cold for chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Xenia's Chickens, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Xenia's Chickens

Xenia's Chickens Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    My 7 month old Black Sex-link has suddenly decided she want to be a mother. She hasn't moved out of her nest in 3 days. She is good about letting me take the eggs out from under her (she growls a lot, but doesn't peck). I'm concerned that it's too cold for chicks right now. (I live in New England). She's in a converted horse stall in a barn. Should I try to break her, let her sit, but take the eggs, give her some golf balls, or let her go ahead and hatch some? (She's with a rooster).

One other question. The rooster is a RIR. What would her chicks look like?

2. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    I would separate her from the roo and let her hatch some chicks. She will keep them warm enough. I generally keep my broodies in a small cage with a heat lamp at one end just in case. I would put the roo in his own cage and heep her where she is.

The chicks will be black with a bit more red on them than the black sex links tend to have. I've had these crosses before.

3. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

If you don't mind the babies, I'd let her go ahead and hatch just a few (as many as she can easily keep warm under her for a month's time... consider how big they will grow in that time).

She will do fine with keeping them warm enough and I find late Fall and early Winter babies are extremely hardy!

@Sumatra503... Why separate her from the roo? I mean, it wouldn't hurt, but I'm just curious why it would be something you recommend. My roos have all been wonderful daddies and babies are taken into the flock easier if they are with it from day one.

4. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    it stresses out the hen basically.

5. mmaddie's mom

Quote:Ahhh... understand. Everyone knows their own flock best.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  6. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Glad I saw this post-------one of my BO hens has decided to try her luck as a mom too! I think there are only 2 eggs under her so far, but she pecks me when I try to peek! She and 2 other BO hens and my BO rooster are kept in a kennel with 2 dog houses----I saw an ad on CL for the four of them a couple months ago, and originally was only interested in the hens. When I went to pick them up, I asked to see the roo. When the lady told me she was either giving him away free or turning him into dog food, I just had to take him (he's gorgeous). So, they have to have a pen separate from all my other chickens, as the roos are too old to integrate (believe me, I tried).

7. mmaddie's mom

Hey New England and Indiana... Go for it! [​IMG]

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:I don't doubt for a moment that this has been your experience -- but it has not been mine.

They are such individuals. I have had a wonderful setter/mama, a wonderful setter who killed her chicks as they hatched, a setter who abandoned the eggs halfway through -- you just never know. Thus far I have not had a roo bother the chicks. But I don't have any 40 years of experience, either.

But my good mama DID raise hers with a roo or two, and the roos helped with the chicks. She would sometimes guide the babies to follow the roo, not avoid him.

9. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I separated my 2 broody from my other 2 girls only because the hen kept laying her infertile egg in the nest we're on the last 6 days and the girls are very protective of that nest now. I think they will make very good mothers if they don't start fighting over the chicks.

10. mmaddie's mom

Quote:I don't doubt for a moment that this has been your experience -- but it has not been mine.

They are such individuals. I have had a wonderful setter/mama, a wonderful setter who killed her chicks as they hatched, a setter who abandoned the eggs halfway through -- you just never know. Thus far I have not had a roo bother the chicks. But I don't have any 40 years of experience, either.

But my good mama DID raise hers with a roo or two, and the roos helped with the chicks. She would sometimes guide the babies to follow the roo, not avoid him.

yep... agreed...

My roos have been great daddies and only go after the teen-age boys when they get out of line... but that could apply to humans also! [​IMG]

Had one wonderful roo who was ALWAYS with any mom with babies... and would babysit if mom needed a break... calling the babies over if he found a yummy tidbit!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by