Broody hen, is she starving?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wanttobefarmer, Feb 7, 2012.

1. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I isolated a broody hen around noon on Sunday, she doesn't seem to have touched her food and water, any chance she will not eat or drink? Should I be worried? Thanks

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    She will most likely sneak it when you are not around. Broodies usually will only get off the nest once a day to eat/drink/poo. Watch the food/water levels, and you will be able to see if she's eating/drinking.

3. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Like you, we isolated a hen who went broody on some eggs. We'd gently lift her off the nest 2 or 3 times a day and put her by the food and water. She'd very quickly eat, drink, poo and hurry back to the nest.

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Leave her alone. She will eat and drink when she needs to. Some don't leave the nest daily, but every 2nd or 3rd day. You will be able to tell when she has left the nest by the huge broody poop that stinks like no other and is sometimes the size of a tennis ball. Don't put food and water close to the nest. She needs to stretch and, if possible with your arrangements, dust bathe. Let nature take it's course and don't mess with her.......Pop

5. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Thanks everyone, I really don't have time to worry over her (but I will) so your info is encouraging

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by