Broody hen is stressed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EncinitasHens, May 4, 2011.

1. EncinitasHens

EncinitasHens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Hi there. I have a broody hen that was sitting nicely on her "dummy" eggs. I finally got a separate hutch for her and I moved her last night. Today she was sitting in another part of the hutch, not on her eggs. I have fertilized eggs arriving on Friday but I am afraid she has abandoned her clutch. Will she go back to sitting on the eggs if I just leave her cooped for a few days?

2. Missoula Chicken Lady

Missoula Chicken Lady Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    No telling except over time [​IMG]

I've had girls sit for two weeks and then get up on a cold night and just stand until morning. Just make her little nest box as dark and fluffy as possible, and make sure she's got a little outside area as part of her hutch to stretch her legs (sounds like you do.)

Worst case scenario, try an incubator...I'm fairly pleased with my Little Giant still air...goes for around $90 I think?

3. EncinitasHens

EncinitasHens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Thank you for your reply. This is my first broody hen so I am not sure how this works. I ordered the eggs from a hatchery so if they come on Friday, can I hold off for a day or two to see if she is sitting again? Or do I need to get an incubator immediately if she isn't sitting on her clutch by Friday?

Thanks for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by