Broody hen issues : Eggs now in incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JulieZ, Aug 9, 2011.

1. JulieZ

JulieZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    My broody BR, "Big Mama", kept sitting on ALL of the unfertilized eggs in ALL of the nesters.

Fine. I'll hook ya up.

Created a seperate section for her, in a beautiful, secluded wooden chicken coop with lots of room to run inside chicken wire and I ordered 8 BO eggs. Then we made the big move with now fertilized eggs. She flew the coop, leaving the eggs by themselves all night and went back to her old nester box and sat on a pile of different eggs.

Fine. I'll hook ya up.

Placed PVC pipes in the ground, wrapped chicken wire around them and attached to the nest she loves. The other girls are a pest and want that box to nest too. Placed water & food on the inside. Which she doesn't leave the nest much for. What did she do? She flew the nest & went to a new set of eggs.

Fine. I'll hook ya up.

I removed all of the new layouts, put her back into the open nest with the BO eggs and let her be. So what happens? Everyone kicks her out for that nest. Now everyone is laying eggs on the BO eggs while Big Mama is laying over all the other eggs.

Fine. I'll hook ya up.

The 8 eggs are now in an incubator in the back room & Big Mama can play musical chairs all day long now. She best not give me the stink eye when I gather eggs for the day. What a brat!

Did I do something wrong? Is Big Mama not as ready as I was hoping for her to be? This went on for 2.5 days. I checked the eggs last night, all fertilized, with veins and eyes forming on 3 different ones. (They were in transit for 2 days - I let them sit for 24 hours, by the time they went under Big Mama they were 4 days old)

Have to say ... when the girls were not laying eggs and Big Mama wanted to brood on different eggs ... the BO's laid there, exposed to un-natural temps/humidity.

How would you have hooked it up?

Julie

2. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds to me as though this hen isn't sure whats needed. She has the feeling she is supposed to do SOMETHING, but unsure just what that is. Not broody enuf in my estimation, to trust with a clutch of eggs.

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Once a hen finds a place to set she stays, I did the same thing, by putting her in a coop by herself, she got out a 5 inch diameter hole. I just left her there now. She flew the coop today, I think her egg is no longer good.
    Good Luck

4. JulieZ

JulieZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    Thank you both. This is confirmation I did right by placing the eggs in the incubator. Was doubting myself.

I'm still allowing her to sit on 1 unfertilized egg. I rotate it each day with a new one and toss the day old out into the woods for safe measure. I'm in Florida & on my deck it's been 122 - 132. Don't need half fried egg coming into the house. EEEKKK!!

I'd like her to be broody. For when I need her. She's not even a full year old yet ... maybe that's playing a role ... so I hope to help her along. : )

Julie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by