1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Hen Issues!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Szollman, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Szollman

Szollman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Southern IN
    I have a cochin banty hen that has been broody for months. I've moved her off the nest countless times, tried using icepacks to cool her belly a little, destroyed the nest she was sitting on. She won't eat or drink and has lost weight. When I move her off the nest, she puffs up and runs right back in the hen house and jumps on the nest. The cooling did nothing. When I took apart her nest and put something over it so she couldn't sit there anymore, she just moved to another nest until there was nowhere for my hens to lay. I had some fake eggs down, and let her sit thinking when they didn't hatch she'd give up, but no luck. I took them up and she still sits on an empty nest! I would allow her to hatch an egg, but I'm afraid it's too late in the season and the chick won't make it. She needs to put on some meat before the cold seson, any ideas how to cure this broodiness?? HELP!

2. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Aww give her a few eggs!!! My broody hatched hers out in the dead of winter!!!!! Plus it is so fun!!!!

3. justin24

justin24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    memphis tn
    let her hatch 2-3 eggs babies will be fine with their momther she will be ok

4. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    if you decide you don't want her to hatch any eggs, you can put her in something like a wire dog kennel suspended off the ground. I just put our3x4 kennel up on 2x4 pieces of wood so it was off the ground about 2 inches. I put a large piece of hardware cloth on the bottom and a piece of our split firewood on that for my broody to sit on. No nesting material. I put a waterer in it (I use the ones with the metal ball bearing), and a small feeder in it too. It took my girl about 4 days before she got over it. I did let her out everyday to free-range with her pals for about two hours - but during that time I shut them all out of the coop. After a few days, I opened the coop and she jumped right in and up to the nest - my sign that she was not done. Tried again the next and she stayed out.

good luck!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I agree; the wire dog kennel with air underneath is what I usually see recommended. Probably hatching some eggs, or slipping a couple of day old chicks under her at night, is the only better way. I once had to order eggs to stop a broody. I also agree, let her hatch them in winter, they will do fine, without added heat. I wish you both luck.

6. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I have a Black Star that was like that. She tried three times to brood a few eggs after I repeatedly tried to break her. The first two something always happened to the eggs. A few disappeared, got stepped on etc. By the time she was on her third try her comb was pale and I was worried for her health. She finally hatched one and left the last partially hatched chick to care for the other one. I put it in the hatcher and let it finish. I put it back under her that night. Here is the happy family. GOOD LUCK TRYING TO BREAK A BROODY. [​IMG]

7. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    I had a hen whose was broody week after week for most of the summer. we did the destroy her nest and block access to the area, keep taking her out of the coop nest box, cold baths, etc. and nothing worked. She was pitiful. We finally put her into the elevated wire cage with some food and water. It only took a few days and she was done. If you don't want any chicks, I'd recommend the cage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by