Broody hen keeps laying!

KoopinItReal

Chirping
Apr 28, 2020
Fayetteville, GA
I have my first broody hen. I have tried pulling her out & putting her in the run with the other chickens, keeping the door to the coop closed, nothing has worked out. I was hoping that after 21 days this would be over, however, she keeps laying eggs! My question is- will she remain broody for 21 days after EACH egg she lays? Like, does the 21 day clock reset with each egg? Or does broodiness usually run its course after a total of 21 days?

Are you positive she's actually broody?
Some birds like to 'lounge' in the nests before and after laying.
A broody won't keep laying eggs for 21 days.

These are my go-to signs of a broody:
Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

Are you positive she's actually broody?
Some birds like to 'lounge' in the nests before and after laying.
A broody won't keep laying eggs for 21 days.

These are my go-to signs of a broody:
Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

Yes, she is broody & doing all if that. This does not answer my question.

Well she is. She is showing all the signs of being broody, doesn’t leave the nest box, makes noises at me as soon as I come into the coop, if I pull her out she puffs up & flattens herself on the floor making almost growling noises at me, if I kick her out of the run to have free-range time with the others she acts normally & pecks & scratches, but then as soon as she has access to the coop again she is right back in the nest box. Yet every other day or so I find an egg under her. And I know it isn’t one of the 2 other hens bc of egg color & the fact that they don’t even have access to that box bc she is always on it.

My question is- will she remain broody for 21 days after EACH egg she lays?
No.
Like, does the 21 day clock reset with each egg?
No.
Or does broodiness usually run its course after a total of 21 days?
No.

I know it isn’t one of the 2 other hens bc of egg color & the fact that they don’t even have access to that box bc she is always on it.
Other hens can lay in the nest a broody is occupying.
So you are getting 3 eggs a day, each a different color?
Is she sleeping in the nest at night too?

My question is- will she remain broody for 21 days after EACH egg she lays? Like, does the 21 day clock reset with each egg? Or does broodiness usually run its course after a total of 21 days?
These are several questions.

First thing: do you want her to hatch eggs or not?

If not, separate her in a metal cage in a place with some traffic. Provide food and water for 3-5 days and don't let her access the nests.
After 3-5 days let her out to see, if she will run back to the nest or not. If not, the broodiness is broken. If yes, she still needs more time out in the cage.

A broody hen that is allowed to do her thing may still lay eggs for about 3-4 days after starting (staying on the nest during the nights as well and just getting off for a short time to poop and eat/drink). The last egg will be noticeably smaller.

For your last question there is no gerenal rule of thumb, as this depends on the broody, some stop after being discouraged several times and others may not.

These are several questions.

First thing: do you want her to hatch eggs or not?

If not, separate her in a metal cage in a place with some traffic. Provide food and water for 3-5 days and don't let her access the nests.
After 3-5 days let her out to see, if she will run back to the nest or not. If not, the broodiness is broken. If yes, she still needs more time out in the cage.

A broody hen that is allowed to do her thing may still lay eggs for about 3-4 days after starting (staying on the nest during the nights as well and just getting off for a short time to poop and eat/drink). The last egg will be noticeably smaller.

For your last question there is no gerenal rule of thumb, as this depends on the broody, some stop after being discouraged several times and others may not.
Thank you so much for answering my questions! I will try restricting her to a crate in the run for a few days & see what happens. My husband & I had been pulling her out of the nest box every time we find her in there but to no avail.

No.

No.

No.

Other hens can lay in the nest a broody is occupying.
So you are getting 3 eggs a day, each a different color?
Is she sleeping in the nest at night too?
She sleeps in the nest box at night as well. My husband has checked. I only have 3 hens in there. 2 are OE's that lay copper eggs, 1 is a Barred Rock that lays light pink/ mauve. I get 1-2 eggs a day right now. There is a copper one under the broody OE every other day or so & then I have found a light pink or copper one in another nest box every day. The other hens won't go near her & I have even found an egg in the run so I know they won't go in her nest box. She is losing weight so I don't think she is even coming out much to eat.

I will try restricting her to a crate in the run for a few days & see what happens.
Make sure she has enough shade and bring the crate in every night as a lot of predators would be able to get at her.
She is losing weight so I don't think she is even coming out much to eat.
Yes, losing weight is one of the reasons it is important to break the broodiness in case chicks are not on the wish list. Some determined broodies might even starve themselves to death if not properly taken care of.

Back
Top Bottom