1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody hen kicked off nest

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mcfarmface, May 4, 2017.

1. mcfarmface

mcfarmface Just Hatched

Apr 19, 2017
    Longtime reader, first time poster. I have a broody hen sitting on turkey eggs. Her decision, not mine! She's been on them for at least three weeks now but the other night, the Tom turkey decided he wanted her out of the nest. We aren't sure how long she was off the eggs. They're almost at 28 days (one was smashed so I checked. Fully developed but yolk still visible). Max time she could have been off is about three hours. What are the odds these eggs are still viable? I could just wait a couple days and see what happens, but I wanted to ask here too.

2. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Chillin' With My Peeps

At that stage, the eggs would probably be ok. Is the turkey now back on the eggs?

3. mcfarmface

mcfarmface Just Hatched

Apr 19, 2017
    Chicken, but yeah, she was placed back on the eggs as soon as the situation was noticed. Apparently moving the recalcitrant turkey Tom was an adventure. I was at work and my better half told me about it. We don't know how long she was off the eggs but hopefully not long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by